Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Pure magic matador

#3 - Ghosts of the Great Highway (Sun Kil Moon) 2003

Of all the albums on my top 25 (including the next two), this is the only disc that still carries upward momentum - which could very easily carry this treasure to #1 in just a few more years. Writing this now, it's hard to believe I love two more albums more than this one. I have to thank Papa for this gift, probably the best piece of music I've ever received. This album has been played more than any other album in the last two years in our household, and with the re-release already on order, there is no doubt it will be playing several hundred times more. This is, without question, one of my favorite albums of all time, and surprising, felt so almost immediately upon first listen. Many of my favorite bands have since disbanded, so here's a prayer than Kozelek and his merry men keep on playing...

Carry Me Ohio is in my top 5 songs of all time. Lily and Parrots is my favorite song right now, and my daughter's, too.

Happy Valentine's Day, Salvador...

3 comments:

Big Cougar said...

Ditto on "Carry Me Ohio" - that song is dynamite.

Could this show up in Papa's top 2?!?

Papa Shoegaze said...

kozelek at 3 and 5 is nice. saw it coming, but 2 is quite a mystery unless you heard my advice following post #4.
i i got duk koo kim 10" before this album came out and was hooked. that song rules as does the album.

Sean B said...

Y to the E to the MFing S. An excellent record. My favorite track is "Salvador Sanchez," which I must say in my opinion is the greatest song about a boxer, ever. (and, yes, I am pointing my bony, crooked finger at S&G, and especially at Bob D. and Rueben.)